We all want to have healthy and beautiful smiles, but we can’t achieve this goal without practicing good oral hygiene. If you neglect your oral hygiene routine, you risk facing a host of dental problems in the future including gum disease, tooth loss, infection, and even heart disease and strokes. if your looking for teeth cleaning in Boulder, need teeth whitening, or have tooth pain visit our dental office today.
Oral Hygiene Steps
Below are 6 very important things you can do to ensure you have an excellent oral hygiene routine:
- Proper Brushing – You should be brushing your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes at a time with a soft bristled toothbrush. Use toothpaste that contains fluoride to prevent cavities. Lastly, don’t forget to brush your gums at the same time you’re brushing your teeth. This can help prevent gum disease.
- Flossing – Flossing your teeth at least once a day can get rid of the plaque buildup in between your teeth. Your toothbrush can’t reach these areas; so flossing is the only way to avoid plaque buildup between the teeth.
- Mouthwash – Mouthwash should never be used as substitute to brushing and flossing your teeth. However, when used in conjunction with brushing and flossing, mouthwash has many benefits. It can help keep your breath fresh, as well as kill and maintain the bacteria in your mouth.
- Tongue Brushing – When brushing your teeth, don’t forget to brush your tongue as well. There are many bacteria living on the surface of your tongue, which can negatively impact your dental health. Brushing these bacteria away can also go a long way towards maintaining the levels of bacteria in your mouth.
- Avoiding Tobacco Use – Not only can tobacco use cause oral cancer, it can also cause the teeth to become damaged and yellowed. You’ll be doing your oral hygiene a big favor by kicking the tobacco to the curb.
- Regular Visits To The Dentist – Lastly, it’s of vital importance that you visit our office at least every 6 months to have a dental cleaning and examination performed. These visits will help our hygienists and Dr. Esmaili catch any potential dental issues when they’re small and treatment is simple.
We know that by following these steps to good oral hygiene, you can improve your chances of having a beautiful and healthy smile to last a lifetime. If you’d like more information about how to improve your oral hygiene routine, or to make an appointment with our dentist, Dr. Bahar Esmaili, please contact PeakView Dentistry today. Our office is located in beautiful Boulder, CO.