We know that getting your teeth cleaned may not be your idea of a good time, but for most of our patients, a dental cleaning is a quick and painless procedure. We believe that knowing what to expect can help ease the anxiety of visiting the dentist, even if it’s just for a cleaning and an exam.
Steps Of a Dental Cleaning & Exam
Below are the steps that will be taken during your dental cleaning and exam. Taking the mystery out of this visit may help you to enjoy the clean, fresh results:
- Physical Exam – Before any actual cleaning takes place, one of our skilled dental hygienists will perform an exam of your entire mouth, including the teeth, tongue, and soft tissues. During this exam, the hygienist will look for signs of gingivitis and other potential problems.
- Plaque & Tartar Removal – Next, the hygienist will begin the process of removing plaque and tartar. If you have a good at-home dental hygiene routine, this step will be easy. However, if the plaque on your teeth has been left to harden into tartar, it may take a little extra time. A scraper will be used, but this tool will not damage your teeth in any way. If this isn’t a step you enjoy, make sure you keep up on brushing and flossing at home!
- Professional Brushing – Once your teeth are free from plaque and tartar, a high-powered electric toothbrush will be used to brush your teeth. This toothbrush makes a grinding noise, but don’t be scared; this is the best way to give your teeth a deep, professional cleaning. Special toothpaste with a gritty consistency is used to polish the teeth and make them shine.
- Professional Flossing – If you floss at home, you may think this step is pointless, but nothing beats receiving a professional floss. Our hygienist is able to locate any problem areas that need extra attention, and can remove any leftover toothpaste or plaque from the earlier steps. Once your teeth have been brushed and flossed, your mouth will be thoroughly rinsed to remove any leftover debris.
- Fluoride Treatment – Lastly, you’ll receive a fluoride treatment to help avoid dental cavities and tooth decay. There are a few different flavors for you to choose from, and the fluoride will be applied in a gel or paste form that stays on your teeth for around 60 seconds.
Dental cleanings and exams are perhaps the most important services we offer at our office. Making and keeping these important appointments is vital to maintaining your dental health and catching any potential dental problems early on, when they’re easier and more affordable to treat.
If you’re overdue for a teeth cleaning, please contact PeakView Dentistry to make an appointment. We’re proud to care for the dental health of Boulder, Colorado’s residents.